"This heart of mine was made to travel the world"
so here I start, my Junior year of college, going to spend 4 months in the study abroad program at Hong Kong Baptist University in Hong Kong. As a sister of Alpha Chi Omega I hope to spread the love of our sisterhood and through this blog encourage others to take the leap out of their comfort zone, become an adventurer and see the world!

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Occupy Central

It's been all over the news. I've heard CNN is here, even BuzzFeed has a story on it. Occupy Central, or the umbrella movement. It goes by several names, but they are all about the same protests. I have been asked by family, friends, and coworkers what it is like here, and I thought I would write about how the strikes are.

They started last Monday, but as a student lead protests, the numbers weren't as big as they are currently. I've been told by local students as well as read, and seen on campus, that the protests really picked up this Saturday. Mostly because there wasn't any school to stop students from going, but school hasn't stopped them today. I haven't been to Central yet, so I haven't seen any of the true protests in person, but friends have gone, and I'll probably be in the area later this week, so I will have more information later (but no worries, I won't be joining in. Though I agree with the reasoning, this isn't my fight to be a part of).

What I have seen, however, are the protesters here at school. This too picked up this weekend. Starting on Saturday, students covered the campus in posters. Most are in Cantonese or Mandarin so I cant read them, but others have pictures (including what I assume is a Chinese government official with devil horns) and some are even in English. The English posters consist mainly of quotes like "If not now, when. If not you, who?" or "Control your own destiny, or someone else will." There are some posters that move for action, asking teachers to join- saying that it is there job to help teach and help create a better future for their students. Others shame the police, since this weekend the protests turned into something like riots, from what I have heard, and police took force with tear gas, rubber bullets and possibly hoses. The posters are covering every pillar, and wall. There are painted sheet posters hanging and students tying yellow ribbons (a symbol of the movement)  around every pole and handing them out for people to  wear around. But It doesn't end with the posters.

Today, the movement moved to a school walkway. What felt like hundreds of students in black, stood around on this bridge, holding posters, recruiting members, and passing out more ribbons. Students have stood up at the close of lectures to ask for help. I've received messages to join over group chats. Even now, as I sit in my room writing this, I can hear students over loud speakers raising awareness (I assume- they aren't chanting it in English) and singing songs like The Song Of Angry Men from Le Mes. Nearly every local student, and even some exchange students have donned black shirts and ribbons for the occasion. It is a powerful thing to watch. The number of people who care so deeply, who are so actively fighting for their rights, is an incredible thing to witness. I hope they get a happy end, because they sure have enough people fighting for the cause!

A US friend of mine here, Izzy, has a friend teaching English in China, so I have also heard about the fight from that view, as well. According to him- as well as BuzzFeed- China has blocked all access to Instagram. This caused the friend in China to contact Izzy about what is going on. Apparently, he was told by the government that this is a small protest- though it is by no means small! This was a fact that I was only mildly shocked by, I mean it is China, but to down play this event so much and to block their people from being able to see what is going on was something I didn't really expect.

Though I have received several "be safe" messages from people back home, I'm glad to be here during this. It is so cool to be able to see it unfold, and to see the strength a group of people can hold when they put their minds to it.

Here is the link to the BuzzFeed story:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/hong-kong-protests#524gfn

No comments:

Post a Comment