"This heart of mine was made to travel the world"
so here I start, my Junior year of college, going to spend 4 months in the study abroad program at Hong Kong Baptist University in Hong Kong. As a sister of Alpha Chi Omega I hope to spread the love of our sisterhood and through this blog encourage others to take the leap out of their comfort zone, become an adventurer and see the world!

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

I Will Survive

Well, I did it, it is finally over. Two days of non stop lectures and guest speakers and all the fun of orientation.

Don't get me wrong, there were great parts. Like yesterday,  when my tour group went off campus for a traditional dim sum lunch, and my student guide ordered a bunch of traditional dim sum (for those who don't know, dim sum is kind of like hors d'oeuvre. They are steamed dumplings or buns with meat or veggies inside. You typically order lots of different types and then everybody at the table shares). Plus, the restaurant seemed excited to have foreigners, and they very generously brought us a traditional mango jello with flowers and seeds in it. I'm not a jello person, so it gagged me, but others really loved it. Even though I hated the jello, the meal in total was very good!  My favorite dishes were the bbq pork belly soft buns and the fried Rangoon like rolls. The truly great part was getting to talk with the student guides (who are from Hong Kong)  and ask them questions about what we were eating, what they liked to do around town and where they liked to go. It was a really fun and enlightening lunch.

Today's highlight was also lunch (mostly because who doesn't love free food). We were bussed to a restaurant in Kowloon city (a 15 minute walk from the school) and once again had dim sum,  but different types. Plus they offered main courses like corn dressing fish, sweet and sour pork (actually very similar to what we have,  but with the bones still in) a delicious green bean dish and fried rice. They also gave us dessert, lotus seed buns that Amy called peach butts,  that were really good. The whole meal was served family style, with the food place on the spinning slab in the middle of the table (they have a fancy name but I can never remember it). It was fun getting to see a full course meal, and actually enjoy everything was there (meals are kind of hit or miss when you order for yourself, especially when you can read neither the menu or the ordering sheet).

The real low point for today was the fact that I blew out my computer charger because I was using a converter with it and I wasn't supposed to, it just needed the adapter (really read up on that when you travel! Thank goodness it was just the charger an not my whole computer). So now my computer is dead, and with it any chance of putting pictures up ( I'm typing this from my phone, in case you were wondering-and I know you are). So I'm going to try and find another charger, but I have no clue how well that will go...but this school is full of computers I can use in the mean time.

Besides I have better things to think about ! Like tomorrow. As the last day of orientation,  the school has planned a guided tour of Hong Kong Island!  We will see a temple, eat at the Jumbo Floating Restaurant,  shop a street market, visit The Peak (the tallest point in Hong Kong) and more! I can't wait to see it all. So check back soon for updates and, fingers crossed about the charger,  pictures to show off the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment