"This heart of mine was made to travel the world"
so here I start, my Junior year of college, going to spend 4 months in the study abroad program at Hong Kong Baptist University in Hong Kong. As a sister of Alpha Chi Omega I hope to spread the love of our sisterhood and through this blog encourage others to take the leap out of their comfort zone, become an adventurer and see the world!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Big Buddha

What an adventure! This Saturday a group of 8 of us- including several people I hadn't met before, which was great because I'm so glad I know them now- traveled to Lantau Island, because there sits the worlds largest outdoor sitting bronze Buddha.

To get to the island you have two options, you can hike something like 3 hours down a trail to get to this monument- which sounds crazy to me- or like we did, you  can take an incredible cable car ride over the island's scenery. The cable car ride lasted about 15 minutes and gave some incredible views of the island greenery, the channel separating the islands, the town behind us, and even the Buddha from a distance.









After the cable car, you enter into a small village. It's really a bunch of shops and restaurants that line the street that leads to the Buddha. The Buddha statue sits on top of about 200 stairs, and as you stand at the bottom of the steps, looking up to the statue, it is a feeling of awe I won't forget. Then the awe passes when you realize that to truly view the statue, you have 200 steps to climb. It was incredibly worth it- and really not as bad as I thought it would be! As you stand up on this monument and look out, the view is incredible, but when you turn and look at the Buddha, haloed by the sun, the entire moment takes your breath away. Over all, the entire trip was full of views I won't forget. 












It was hard to leave, but I knew we had another incredible cable car ride to take us back - one I fully enjoyed with out the picture taking. It was an unforgettable day!

Sadly, Sunday wasn't as incredible, since I spent the entire day catching up on homework and readings (since apparently I'm actually here for school or something), but a single thought got me through Sunday and today, that tomorrow- Tuesday - I GET TO FINALLY VISIT DISNEY!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment