"This heart of mine was made to travel the world"
so here I start, my Junior year of college, going to spend 4 months in the study abroad program at Hong Kong Baptist University in Hong Kong. As a sister of Alpha Chi Omega I hope to spread the love of our sisterhood and through this blog encourage others to take the leap out of their comfort zone, become an adventurer and see the world!

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Victoria Harbor

Victoria Harbor is a beautiful  skyline that resides on Hong Kong Island, facing the Kowloon Peninsula. The two are separated by a channel of ocean water that takes about 5 minutes to cross on the star ferry. It's really like a salt water river.

I don't know if its Saturday evenings, or every evening, or what, but when you sit on the Kowloon side looking at the photo above, they have a light show called Symphony of Lights. On top of many of these buildings are green laser lights, other buildings have lights that run up the sides of them, behind you they have massive spotlights, and together the lights dance to a beautiful mix of orchestra music. What really schocked me was as we waited for the show to start they had live music playing and instead of singing local songs they were singing the Ramones, and Imagine Dragons and all the music that we listen to here. Even with the street performers, more often than not they will be singing some American pop song!

The best place to view the Symphony of Lights if from the Avenue of stars. Its the Hong Kong Version of the Hollywood walk of Fame. Only it has barely anyone that I recognized. The only star plaques that had names I knew were Jacky Chan and Bruce Lee. As you walk down this seaside avenue, there are statues dotted periodically along the way and one of them, rather famous, is this statue of Bruce Lee:

 
and all around it people were taking pictures, just like us, so we weren't too out of place as tourists:)

From there we made our way to the star ferry where for only a few dollar or so in Hong Kong Dollar it will take you across the harbor to Hong Kong Island, the financial district of the area. You may know one bank here, the Bank of China, that was featured in a Batman movie! The Ferry ride offered some really pretty views of both harbors, but with the rocking of the waves, picture were all blurry. Once on the other side, I was very thankful for the native student we had made friends with and had joined us on the journey, because without her we never would have made it any where in that city with out a lot of wondering around! On the island we planned to find a restaurant ( which thanks to Fish, the native student, we did!), as many of us hadn't yet eaten dinner and were starving. The restaurant we wondered upon was great. The food was typical fare, but we managed to be the first in this upstairs lounge, so for a few minutes we had this whole lounge just to the seven of us. We were later joined, but with the air conditioning, the ability to sit for a while, and getting to know the group I went with made the place fantastic!

Thank goodness we headed home when we did though! Our native student told us that even though it was Saturday, the trains close kind of early, so as we made it to the station, the last train of the evening was leaving, so we just made it to get home! We had impeccable timing the whole night really, because as we walked back to the school, we had only a few minutes left of walking when the rain hit (and boy did it hit! I've never gotten so wet in the little time I was in rain), so we were able to find cover quickly:)

I have really had several event filled days so far! I feel like I've shoved a weeks worth of things into only a few days, and man do my feet feel it! Over the last two days I have walked over 30 miles in the muggy, heavy air that is constant here! The best is when you finally get to venture inside and get a blast of delicious, long awaited air conditioning. 

I'm not really sure what today brings. We mentioned heading to the beach, so hopefully my feet can make it. However, I never packed any sun screen and I burn to a nice lobster color very quickly, so I haven't a clue if that is where I want to venture right before I have to go through 3 days of orientation and the start of classes. I'll let you know what the day brings later, so come back and read up!

No comments:

Post a Comment