"This heart of mine was made to travel the world"
so here I start, my Junior year of college, going to spend 4 months in the study abroad program at Hong Kong Baptist University in Hong Kong. As a sister of Alpha Chi Omega I hope to spread the love of our sisterhood and through this blog encourage others to take the leap out of their comfort zone, become an adventurer and see the world!

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Day 1-2

Well adventures were abundant as me and several friends tried to make our way through Hong Kong!

Day 1 started out early, with my last post I said I had been up at 5am, and I never went back to bed. So at around 9, Chris (from BG), Alex (from Canada), Flo ( from France) and Iwent to breakfast and that was a surprise! We all figured the noodle line would be safe, I mean how can you do noodles wrong? However, what we got was way more than noodles. Everything this line had was paired with Congee, a rice soup with beans and bone in pork chunks. and truly, it was blah, there was no distinct flavor and you really couldn't eat the pork because of the bone. Thankfully the dinner later that night and the lunch this afternoon were way better! The roasted duck I had- that was hanging in a window before he pulled it down and chopped it for my meal- was really delicious, even with the bones I was pulling out. And I went through the entire meal, even with the rice, using chop sticks and didn't drop a thing! I was so proud.

Next we ventured our way to the metro station to get ourselves to Ikea. That was a crowded adventure, but between the six of us (and a special thanks to the friend from Michigan Amy who speaks Cantonese) we managed the train and Ikea very well! That was, until we got to the end of the line and my Amex card got declined :/ Thank fully it worked when I ventured back with a bunch of European girls, and Pedro and Izzy from BG, who arrived late yesterday. What was funny was that in this big group of 10, I had already done this trip and knew more than these people, so they all questioned how long I had been there and thought I was lying when I told them only 1 day! I'm amazed at how much you pick up in a single day!

Other than several trips to Ikea, all the BG kids, Alex (from Canada) and Amy (from Michigan) ventured to a mall that was within walking distance to see what was there and pick up school supplies. What really surprises me is that all these malls we went to have grocery stores in them, either in the basement, or just taking up a floor in the mall. So we used this mall to stock up our dorm rooms. I used it both to get comfort food (goldfish are the best) and to experiment!
 from the left are the garlic bread cheetos (I think...) a bag of fry looking chips with a crawfish (crayfish to you crazy northerners) some apple juice looking drink, sparking apple juice in a can (that I'm drinking now and tastes great save for the after taste), and chocolate milk bread (the moistest thing I have ever had, even after several hours out in the open in my room).Its been really exciting trying new things like to food and snacks!

So, now my friends and I are headed to Victoria Harbor for the evening to see a light show and have a good time. Look for those pictures later! Good luck to Greek Life as they recruit this weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment