"This heart of mine was made to travel the world"
so here I start, my Junior year of college, going to spend 4 months in the study abroad program at Hong Kong Baptist University in Hong Kong. As a sister of Alpha Chi Omega I hope to spread the love of our sisterhood and through this blog encourage others to take the leap out of their comfort zone, become an adventurer and see the world!

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Into the Fire

Finals week is now in full swing and I already can't wait until it is over! The only sad part about it being over is that it means that I have to leave this amazing place! It is depressing that we have to spend our last weeks here in Hong Kong studying our time away and stressing out over grades, but I will take my time as I get it.

Final's here happen rather differently than they do back home. At BG, and many other institutions as I am told by my friends, you go to room and take the test with only your class, or those in the same class as you. I have never had more than a hundred or so people in a room for finals before; well, before I came at least. At HKBU they stick nearly 400 people into a large ballroom with rows and rows of desks. It was like Harry Potter and other movies, evenly placed desks, not one out of place, as hordes of student march to what seems like their death (the feelings about finals seem to be universial,even if the methods are not).

They have the floor plan layed out so that the people next to you are both taking different tests so no cheating is possible. Then, if you arrive more than 30 minuites late you aren't allowed in, and you can't leave the testing room with in that time either. Also, if you are a fast test taker, you need to be done with the test more than 15 minutes before the end, otherwise you aren't allowed to leave until the end. There are so many odd rules!

It was an interesting experience. I prefer the way we do it at BGSU but it was cool to try a different way of testing. I also prefer that finals week is only a single week, instead of drawn out over 2 or even 3 according to my European friends!

Well, I'm off to do more studying, so I'm not so totally lost during my tests. The thought that I get to go experience Beijing in 3 days is what is getting me through these hard days.

No comments:

Post a Comment