"This heart of mine was made to travel the world"
so here I start, my Junior year of college, going to spend 4 months in the study abroad program at Hong Kong Baptist University in Hong Kong. As a sister of Alpha Chi Omega I hope to spread the love of our sisterhood and through this blog encourage others to take the leap out of their comfort zone, become an adventurer and see the world!

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Major Difference

I have just stumbled across one major difference between school here and school in the states- graduation. Today the campus flooded with graduates from last May to participate in their commencement ceremony. I guess here they have to wait 7 months to receive the actual diploma. In Hong Kong, they actually receive diploma when they walk on stage, instead of like back in the states where we just get an empty leather folder and the important paper comes in the mail a few weeks later.

They also love flowers and graduation bears here. When I say bouquets, I don't mean a small bundle, I mean boys and girls alike are walking around with Miss America like, toddler sized  bunches of flowers! These things are huge and they look heavy! They even have a stand selling them here.Along with the bouquets nearly every graduate is carrying a graduation bear. Not all of them are bears, though a majority of them are. Hello Kitty, Pikachu and many others I don't know join the fray.

It is so interesting to witness the differences in ceremony between the two cultures. Though graduation is much the same, seeing so many walk around months after graduation with all of these gifts was a fun sight to see :)

No comments:

Post a Comment